Let It Snow - Frostgrave Terrain Test

Just time to post a few photos of the finished terrain test for our games of Frostgrave.

Since the last post I added a few more extreme highlights to the flagstones before applying the snow effect.
My snow, like the rest of my build, is done on the cheap. Not that I feel the end results look cheap, mind. Its just that I don't see the point of spending lots of money on unnecessary products.

My snow is applied in two parts and I only use two ingredients. Bicarbonate of Soda, and PVA.

The first thing to do is to mix these ingredients together. The proportions vary depending on the effect you want to achieve. If you want light snowfall, don't add a lot of bicarbonate of soda. But since this is Frostgrave, I'm going to want to make it thicker, so I'm mixing about fifty fifty. When you are mixing a gloop like this though you have to move quickly. Best to work on one of the snow splodges at a time.
The second stage involves sprinkling bicarbonate of soda onto the mix. I find it works best if you aim to leave the odd patch visible, and try to do the same around the edges. After this you have to leave it all to dry for a couple of hours. Then you simply shake off the excess and admire your handiwork. 
The top sprinkling of bicarb represents fresh snowfall. The mix beneath represents earlier snowfall that has begun to freeze. If you like styalising your models you can add some blue paint or ink to the mix. And if you are representing an area with livestock then I'm sure there are other colors in your palette you could use...!
Incidentally, if you want to represent melting snow, use a lot of PVA compard to bicarb in your mix, only apply the lightest sprinkling afterwards, and once dry, dab some gloss varnish around the edges.
The last job was to paint the base black. Pretty boring job, but it really finishes off the piece.

So, only fourteen more to make. Next one will have some ruins on it. Until then, thanks for stopping by!

Comments