Lion Rampant: The Yorkist Army is Assembled!
This really is a dream come true! I know I've said it before, but it's worth repeating. I never thought I'd be able to bring The Wars of the Roses to my gaming table. There's the financial obstacle for someone like myself with a virtually non-existent budget. Then there's the fear of biting off more than you can possibly chew. But here I am. And despite thinking I had a greater chance of pole vaulting to the moon than being able to do this, my dining table bears testimony to the generosity of those whose Christmas gifts turned a dream into reality!
Yorkist force then consists of the following units:
1x Foot Men at Arms @ 6pts
2x Expert Archers @ 12pts
1x Expert Foot Sergeants @ 6pts
1x Burgundian Crossbowmen (Archers) @ 4pts
2x Burgundian Handgunners (Bidowers) @ 4pts
1x Burgundian Foot Sergeants (Pikemen) @ 4pts
36 point retinue
If you've never seen one of my posts before, I'll explain what I mean by base mix.
There are of course many different ways to go about basing your models. Thre's not one way that is right and everything else is wrong. I've used different methods over the years, but this one has become my default. It works great for me, which is why I use it all the time. Which, to be honest, is quite remarkable. The first time I used this mix was on some WWII models I was assembling. I was adding offcuts of plastic sheet embossed with a stone pattern to their bases. I wanted to add rubble, so I set about cutting small bricks out of spare frames. To tie it all together, I made a base mix for them. It's approximately 70% sand, 20% ballast and 10% cork chippings. And it worked great, as you can see here:
It sounds good, but I wasn't happy with that result either. The ballast and cork chippings seemed to accentuate the slope. Which looked horrible.
So what I do now is skip the miliput stage and apply a generous amount of PVA to the base. I then sprinkle some of the cork chippings from my mix onto the glue and push them in. Then its just a case of sitting them on the mix and flicking the stuff over the base. After that, I remove the model and wipe away any overhanging bits with my thumb. This cleans it up nicely and I set the model aside to dry for a few hours. To be honest, I wouldn't start applying any paint until the following day.
During the drying time, the PVA shrinks a little and you have a rather uneven surface when it's all done. I then paint the base before adding my grass blend, static flock and coarse turf. I love the result
Of course, I always have a look at the model once the glue is dry and use an old brush to wipe away any sand that has chosen to lie in the details of the model. This is why I always have the bases of my models ready before painting. It saves ruining the paint job!
Anyway, here's the models with the base mix applied.